Milk and cookies are snack staples after school, but don’t leave much to the imagination. Incorporating a fun title for kids and a healthy protein option for mom is a sure-fire way to get everyone excited for snack time.
These easy-to-prepare chicken sticks will have the kids flipping out over the name and the delicious taste. The secret behind the chicken’s straw-like coating is the shredded coconut.
Scarecrow Chicken Sticks
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
• 10 wooden skewers
• 1 pouch Shake ‘n Bake Original mix
• 1/2 cup Great Value sweetened shredded coconut
• 1/3 cup ranch dressing or mayonnaise
• 3 skinless, Your Fresh Market boneless chicken breasts
1. Soak skewers in water. Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
2. Line a baking sheet with foil.
3. Place a wire rack on top and coat with non-stick cooking spray.
4. In a bowl, stir coating mix with coconut.
5. Pour dressing or mayonnaise into another bowl.
6. Cut chicken strips lengthwise into 1/2″ (1cm) thick strips.
7. Add to dressing or mayonnaise and stir to coat. Then add to coconut mixture and stir.
8. Press coating onto bare spots. Thread skewers through meat. Place on rack. Bake in centre of oven, without turning, until chicken is cooked through, 20 to 30 minutes.
Additional back-to-school snack recipes can be found at www.walmart.ca/recipes.