Make this crab and mozzarella appetizer your “toast” to summer
This simple and stylish canapé brings together the sweet flavours of crab and corn with sumptuous stretch mozzarella. Serve these toasts family-style at your next summer get-together to impress your guests.
Crab, Corn and Mozzarella Toasts
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
Makes 16 toasts
• 1 corn cob, husks and silks removed
• 1 cup (250 ml) cooked crab meat (fresh, canned or frozen), drained and squeezed dry
• ⅓ cup (75 ml) mayonnaise
• ⅓ cup (75 ml) red pepper, finely chopped
• 3 tbsp (45 ml) fresh chives, chopped and divided
• 2 tsp (10 ml) lemon juice
• 1½ tsp (7 ml) Old Bay seasoning
• 1 tsp (5 ml) lemon zest, finely grated
• ¼ tsp (1 ml) Worcestershire sauce
• ¼ tsp each salt and ground pepper
• 2 cup (500 ml) Saputo Mozzarellissima shredded cheese, divided
• 8 slices white bread
1. Boil corn in salted water for 5 minutes, or until tender. Drain well and cool. Using a sharp knife, remove corn kernels from the cob.
2. Toss crab with corn kernels, mayonnaise, red pepper, 2 tbsp (30 ml) chives, lemon juice, Old Bay seasoning, lemon zest, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper until combined. Stir in half of the Mozzarellissima.
3. Cut each slice of bread into 4 triangles. Place on foil lined baking sheet and broil each side for 1 to 2 minutes, or until lightly toasted. Top each toast triangle with crab mixture and sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese. Broil until cheese melts. Garnish with remaining chives before serving.
Tip: Add a dash of Louisiana style hot sauce to the crab mixture for a spicy kick.
You can find more recipes at fb.com/saputo.ca.