If it’s wintertime, it’s soup time. Here are two new soup recipes to add to your rotation this year, featuring delicious flavours and nourishing ingredients.
Carrot Turmeric Rice Soup
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Serves: 4 – 6
- 1 tbsp butter or oil of choice
- 1 medium onion, chopped into small pieces
- 4 cups (1 litre) peeled or scrubbed carrots, chopped (about 6 carrots)
- ¼ cup (60 ml) uncooked U.S. white rice
- 6 cups (1 ½ litres) vegetable broth
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- In a large saucepan, sauté onion in butter until softened. Add carrots and rice and stir to combine. Add stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until carrots and rice are tender. Cool slightly.
- Carefully transfer to a blender; cover and process until smooth, then return to the pan. Alternatively, blend with an immersion blender. Add turmeric and additional cooked rice if desired. Warm through and serve.
Chicken Lemon Rice Soup with Butternut Squash & Kale
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Serves: 4 – 6
- 5 cups (1 litre, 250 ml) chicken stock
- 2 cups (500 ml) U.S. long-grain white rice
- 1½ cup (375 ml) shredded cooked chicken
- 2 cups (500 ml) kale, destemmed and cut into pieces
- 1½ cup (375 ml) cubed butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 egg yolks
- Juice of 3 lemons
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare rice according to package directions.
- While rice is cooking, toss cubes of butternut squash with olive oil and bake at 375°F (200°C) for 15 to 20 minutes, until fork tender. Set aside.
- Add 1 cup of cooked rice to blender along with egg yolks, 1½ cups (375 mL) chicken stock and lemon juice. Blend until combined.
- Heat the rest of the chicken stock over medium to high heat. Add the mixture from the blender, the rest of the rice, cooked butternut squash and fresh thyme. Stir together and add the kale pieces.
- Simmer on low for 10 to15 minutes as the soup thickens. You can add more chicken stock to thin it out.
- Enjoy with fresh black pepper and more lemon juice on top if desired. Store covered in the fridge for 3 to 4 days
Find more soup recipes at riceinfo.com