Simple suppers to satisfy vegetarians and meat-lovers
Looking for hearty and filling vegetarian recipes? These easy and cheesy enchiladas are sure to please both vegetarians and meat-lovers. This flavourful recipe also uses fibre-rich black beans which can help lower cholesterol and decrease the risk of heart disease.
Easy Vegetarian Enchiladas
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
• 3 tbsp canola oil, divided
• 2 tbsp flour
• 2 tbsp chili powder (more if desired)
• 1/2 tsp garlic powder
• 1/2 tsp oregano
• 1/2 tsp cumin
• 2 cups vegetable broth
• 1 medium onion, finely chopped
• 1/4 tsp salt
• 3/4 red pepper, sliced
• 546 mL can black beans, drained and rinsed
• 127 mL can diced mild green chilies
• 8 large whole wheat tortillas
• 3 cups shredded cheddar or Mexican cheese (save 4 tbsp for lunch)
• Cilantro (optional)
• Lime wedges (optional)
1. Heat saucepan over medium heat. Add 2 tbsp oil, then flour. Whisk together until it forms a paste. Cook for 30 seconds.
2. Whisk in chili powder, garlic powder, oregano and cumin. Slowly add broth, whisking constantly, until smooth.
3. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, about 10 minutes or slightly thickened. Taste and whisk in up to 2 more tbsp chili powder if desired. Reserve.
4. Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9×13-inch baking dish.
5. Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Add remaining 1 tbsp oil, then onion and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes or until softened.
6. Add pepper and cook another 3 minutes. Stir in beans and green chilies. Remove from heat.
7. Working one at a time, spread about 2 tbsp of sauce on a tortilla. Top with about 2 tbsp cheese and 1/3 cup bean mixture, spread out in a line across the lower half of the tortilla.
8. Roll up (no need to tuck in the ends) and place seam side down in prepared dish, tucking the rolls together to make enough space in the dish for all 8 tortillas.
9. Pour remaining enchilada sauce on top then sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 20 minutes or until bubbly at the edges.
10. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes before serving. Top with cilantro and serve with lime wedges if desired.
Find more vegetarian meal and snack ideas at www.walmart.ca/recipes.