Most vegan cheesecake recipes out there call for soaking cashews overnight and whirling them in a food processor to get that sought-after creamy texture. But you can skip that time-consuming step with a prepared plant-based spread.
“I love our plant-based plain coconut cream cheese-style spread,” says Michelle Pennock, executive chef for the President’s Choice test kitchen. “It boasts the perfect texture for this luscious tropical-topped treat.”
No-Bake Vegan Cheesecakes with Coconut and Pineapple
Prep time: 30 minutes
Chill time: 1 hour
Ready in: 1 ½ hours
- 1/3 cup (83 mL) unsweetened shredded coconut, toasted, divided (see tip, below)
- ¼ cup (60 mL) walnut halves, toasted and finely chopped (see tip, below)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) granulated sugar, divided
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) coconut oil, melted (or liquid coconut oil)
- 1 tub (227 g) PC plant-based plain coconut cream cheese-style spread, room temperature
- ¾ cup (188 mL) plant-based plain cultured coconut milk yogurt alternative
- ½ cup (125 mL) icing sugar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) fresh lemon juice
- ¾ cup (188 mL) finely chopped cored peeled pineapple
- Fresh mint sprigs (optional)
1. Stir together ¼ cup (60 mL) shredded coconut, walnuts, 1 tbsp granulated sugar and coconut oil in a small bowl. Press into bottoms of six ½-cup (125 mL) glass jars or ramekins, or small serving glasses, dividing evenly.
Tip: Toasting the shredded coconut and walnuts adds crunch and enhances their flavour. Try toasting the coconut in a dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring often until light golden, about four to five minutes.
2. Beat cream cheese-style spread with coconut yogurt in large bowl using electric hand mixer on low speed until smooth. Increase speed to medium; beat until creamy, about 1 minute. Beat in icing sugar and lemon juice.
3. Spoon cheesecake mixture into jars over top of shredded coconut mixture, dividing evenly. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour, or overnight.
4. Stir pineapple with remaining 1 tbsp granulated sugar in separate small bowl.
5. Spoon pineapple mixture over top of cheesecakes and sprinkle with remaining shredded coconut, dividing evenly. Top with fresh mint (if using).
Try this: Swap out the pineapple for any tropical fruit, such as mango or passion fruit.
Nutritional information per serving: calories 240, fat 16g, sodium 110 mg, carbohydrates 23g, fibre 1g, sugars 17g, protein 3g.