Think sizzle and spice with these shrimp skewers and peanut pesto.
Elevate your weeknight dinner routine with these Indian-flavoured kebobs that have a little sweet and a kick of spice. This take on pesto blends peanuts, coriander and coconut for a dipping sauce that is big on flavour, and better for your budget.
Indian-Spiced Shrimp Kebobs with Peanut Coconut Pesto
Prep time: 20 minutes
Grilling time: 5 minutes
Makes 4 to 8 skewers, plus 1 cup (250 ml) of pesto
Peanut Coconut Pesto:
• 1/2 cup (125 ml) peanuts
• 2 tbsp (30 ml) unsweetened coconut
• 2 garlic cloves, chopped
• 1 tbsp (15 ml) ginger, coarsely chopped
• 1 cup (250 ml) coriander, tightly packed
• 1/2 cup (125 ml) peanut oil
• 1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon juice
• Salt, to taste
• 2 tsp (10 ml) garam masala
• 1 tsp (5 ml) cumin seed
• 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt, preferably kosher
• ¼ tsp (1 ml) cayenne pepper
• 1 lb (500 g) uncooked peeled jumbo shrimp (approximately 20 to 30)
• 12 to 16 pineapple pieces, bite-sized
• 4 large skewers, or 8 medium skewers
1. In a food processor, pulse peanuts, coconut, garlic and ginger until finely chopped, scraping down sides if needed. Add coriander and pulse until finely chopped. With the motor running, gradually add peanut oil then lemon juice until blended. Add salt to taste.
2. Oil grill and preheat barbecue to high heat. In a small bowl, stir garam masala with cumin seed, salt and cayenne. Pat shrimp dry and rub with spice mix. Thread shrimp and pineapple onto skewers. Grill for 3 to 5 minutes, or until shrimp are pink in colour. Place about 2 tbsp (30 ml) pesto on each plate as a dipping sauce, or spoon over the skewers.
Additional recipes can be found at www.peanutbureau.ca.