The COVID-19 pandemic has changed the way we work, shop and even the way we eat. More than ever, we are looking for easy and affordable recipes to cook from home.
Make sure every dollar goes as far as possible by shopping at a discount retailer, like Giant Tiger. Not only do they have a large selection of kitchenware, cookware and food storage items, they have a grocery department that offers budget-friendly food, without compromising on quality.
We spoke with Jerry Dzikowski, Director Category Management Grocery, who recommends trying the following crowd-pleasing potato soup. Its ingredients are easy to find, have a long-lasting shelf life and provide a delicious, hearty, warm meal ready to feed the whole family. As an added bonus, you can double the recipe for leftovers for a busy night.
Hearty Potato Soup
Cook Time: 30 min
Prep Time: 30 min.
- 6 cups peeled and diced potatoes (about 5 medium potatoes, cubed to about 3/4 inch)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion (1 medium)
- 1 1/4 cups peeled and diced carrots (3 medium)
- 1 cup diced celery (2-3 stalks)
- 1 tsp dried tarragon
- 14.5 oz. low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Optional: 1/2 cup cheddar cheese and ½ cup bacon or ham (extra to garnish), for a savoury twist
- Optional garnishes: Cheddar cheese, bacon or ham, and slivered green onion
- Combine potatoes, carrots, celery, onions and tarragon with chicken broth in a large pot and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover pot and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and continue to cook about 15 to 20 minutes longer until potatoes are very soft.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan melt butter, add flour and cook for 1 to 2 minutes while whisking. Stir in milk, then cook and stir until mixture begins to lightly bubble and thicken.
- Once potatoes are soft, add thickened milk mixture to potato soup mixture and stir. Add sour cream and mix well. Stir in cheddar cheese and bacon or ham until mixed in.
- Top as desired.