This dish a great beginner recipe for those new to the kitchen and Mexican cuisine. More “Tex Mex” than Mexican, it’s easy to make and can be filled with a variety of ingredients.
An enchilada is a tortilla rolled around a filling, covered with a savoury sauce, sprinkled generously with cheese and baked – impossible not to love. This recipe features chicken and sliced local mushrooms that add a robust meaty flavour that to this appetizing dish.
Below is a step-by-step guide on how to make these mouth-watering enchiladas.
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups (500 mL) sliced crimini or white Canadian mushrooms
- 2 tbsp (25 m L) vegetable oil
- 2 tsp (10 mL) chili powder
- ½ tsp (2 mL) each dried oregano and salt
- 2 cups (500 mL) cooked chicken, diced
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) low-fat sour cream
- 2 cups (500 mL) mild or medium taco sauce
- 10 medium flour tortillas
- In large skillet, cook onions, garlic and mushrooms in oil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently until softened; about 5 minutes. Add chili powder, oregano and salt; cook for 15 seconds. Remove from heat. Stir in chicken, ¾ cup (175 mL) of cheese and sour cream; mix well.
- Spread ¾ cup (175 mL) of the taco sauce in 13×9-inch (3 L) baking dish. Spread about ¼ cup (50 mL) filling down centre of each tortilla; roll up, folding in ends.
- Place seam-side down in dish. Spread remaining taco sauce over top; sprinkle with remaining cheese. (Recipe can be prepared to this point, covered and refrigerated for up to 8 hours. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before baking.)
- Cover and bake in 350°F (180°C) oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until heated through.
Nutritional information: Protein: 22 grams | Fat: 25 grams | Carbohydrates: 45 grams | Calories: 508 | Fibre: 4 grams.