Cool, herbal, vegetable-infused beverages are all the rage—and it’s a good thing. Simple beverages filled with puréed vegetables are a great way to hydrate, along with fitting in important servings of veggies into your diet. This healthful tonic includes celery, lemon juice and rosemary for a cool green drink with just a touch of spice, thanks to cayenne. With just the barest touch of sweetener, it’s a healthful drink you can feel good about enjoying. Plus, the ingredients provide you with fiber, antioxidant compounds, vitamins and minerals—so what’s. not to love? Whip it up in a blender and pour over a glass of ice for breakfast, a special meal or at an outdoor party.
- 2 medium stalks of celery with leaves, chopped into quarters
- 1/2 tsp. fresh rosemary
- 1 small lemon, juiced (about 2 tbsp)
- 1 tsp. agave nectar
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup water
- Ice cubes
Makes 2 servings. Per serving: 27 calories, 0 g total fat (0 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 10 g carbohydrates, 0 g protein, 3 g dietary fiber, 38 mg sodium, 3 g sugar, 0 g added sugar.
- Place celery, rosemary, lemon juice, agave nectar, cayenne pepper, salt and water in container of a high-power blender.
- Process for a few minutes, until mixture is finely liquified.
- Fill two glasses with ice and pour celery mixture into each glass.
*Dried rosemary may be substituted for fresh.
**Pure Maple syrup may be substituted for agave nectar.
***A pinch is equivalent to about 1/8 tsp.
Courtesy of aicr.org