Nothing screams fresh like crisp, delicious vegetables. Find inspiration from local farmers’ markets or grocery produce aisles to get back-to-basics with this season’s cooking. From leafy greens to root vegetables, there’s no need to compromise on taste or creativity in the kitchen if you have a solid foundation of basics:
• Garden fresh veg: Soup’s on. Use your favourite vegetables in a hearty pot of soup. At the end of the week, simply combine any older, left-over veggies into a large pot with your preferred broth and let them simmer. For a purée, use an immersion blender to create a soup that’s rich in texture and full of healthy ingredients.
• Crisp corn: Top them. Go beyond traditional corn on the cob with creative topping twisters. From garlic n’ herb toppings to cheddar BBQ flavours, just add margarine and take this summer side to the next level. Pro tip: chop off the end of corn in husk, microwave for 4-5 minutes, squeeze the top and the corn pops out ready to be dressed.
• Scrumptious spuds: Mash them. Looking to round out your meal? Potatoes are a great addition to any dish. Incorporate Becel Buttery Taste margarine in your potato recipes for irresistible flavour, with 80 per cent less saturated fat than butter. From new potatoes to sweet potatoes and everything in between, the ultimate comfort food is a staple for any meal.
Ignite your inner foodie and have your guests craving more with this harvest-inspired favourite from Becel:
Garlic & Parsley Mashed Potatoes
• 1 1/2 lbs. (750 g) red potatoes, unpeeled and cut into chunks
• 1/3 cup (75 mL) Becel Buttery Taste margarine
• 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
• 1/4 cup (60 mL) skim milk
• 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
Step 1: In a medium saucepan, add potatoes and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer 20 minutes or until potatoes are very tender; drain. In same saucepan, melt Becel Buttery Taste margarine over medium heat and cook garlic, stirring for 1 minute or until fragrant.
Step 2: Return potatoes to saucepan; mash. Stir in remaining ingredients.
More great recipes and their nutritional information can be found at Becel.ca.