While holiday entertaining has its rewards, it can also be a hectic job. This year, host with ease by relying on versatile and simple-to-make recipes. These Perfect Pair Pear Puffs work splendidly as a crispy, creamy and completely delicious appetizer or brunch treat. More seasonal recipes are available online at www.tenderflake.ca.
Perfect Pair Pear Puffs
3 medium, firm pears
1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
1 package (397 g) Tenderflake frozen puff pastry, defrosted
1 1/2 cups (375 mL) grated Swiss cheese
1 tbsp (15 mL) freshly grated ginger
1/2 cup (125 mL) Cambozola or goat cheese, crumbled
1/2 cup (125 mL) pecans, toasted and chopped
1. Preheat oven to 400°F (200 °C).
2. Peel pears and cut in half. Remove seeds, leaving stems intact. Using a teaspoon scrape out the inside of the pear and set aside. Brush the pear with lemon juice and place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, cut side down.
3. Remove the pastry from the package and place on a lightly floured surface. Using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll the pastry to a 10 x 12” (25 X 30 cm) rectangle. Cut pastry into 6 equal rectangles. Cover each pear with a piece of pastry, cutting away excess pastry using a sharp knife. Pierce several holes in pastry using a fork.
4. Whisk egg with 1 tbsp (15 mL) of water and brush egg wash on pastry.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool slightly.
6. Preheat broiler to high.
7. Mix all of the filling ingredients together in a small bowl along with reserved pear. Turn pears cut side up and divide filling between each. Broil for 1-2 minutes or until cheese begins to bubble. Serve immediately.
Use excess pastry to form decorative leaves and adhere to pears using egg wash.