You have probably seen these at countless children’s festivals or even in stores. Those nice jars filled with colored sand to create a little 3D art piece. There are actually two ways to make these; you can layer the colors vertically or horizontally, as a work of art that can be used for a relaxing bath.
What you will need:
- 3 cups of Epsom salt (you can pick this up at any drug store)
- 1 cup baking soda
- An essential oil in a desired scent like jasmine or lemon (you can use several and make your own scent but if you aren’t sure how oils blend, I would suggest only using one type.)
- Food Coloring (3 of your desired colors)
- Combine the Epsom salt and the baking powder and stir.
- Add in the essential oils until you get the desired scent. Usually 4 or 5 drops.
- Separate into 3 bowls and add 1 food coloring to each bowl.
- Mix until the mixture is not clumpy and is a soft powder instead.
- Take a nice jar (which can be purchased at a craft store or dollar store) and pour the bath salts into the bottle in a design.
- Take a knife and slide it down the side of the bottle so the layers of bath salt blends in with the other ones in the occasional spot.
- Wrap and give to mom.
On a side note, it is important to pour in enough salt so that it is within a mm of the top of the jar. If there is too much space in the top of the jar, the bath salts will blend together and the beautiful effect will be ruined.
-Sirena Van Schaik