Warming up the grill this spring
April showers bring May flowers, but that doesn’t mean you have to stay indoors and avoid using your barbecue. Get outside and grill with some delicious recipes to bring a little cold weather comfort food to your dinner table.
Grilled Chicken Soup
Cook time: 1 hour
• 4 to 5 carrots
• 1 sweet onion
• 4 to 5 fingerling potatoes
• 1 stalk celery
• 2 to 3 chicken breasts
• 3 cups chicken stock
• 1/4 cup (60 mL) hot sauce
• 1 1/2 cup (350 mL) cream
• 1 cup (250 mL) Rickard’s Red
• Salt and pepper to taste
• Crumbled blue cheese for topping
1. Coat grill with olive oil and pre-grill carrots, sweet onion, fingerling potatoes and chicken breasts. Cook through three quarters of the way to allow final cook in the soup. Cool and chop all into hearty sized cubes.
2. In a large pot combine chicken stock, hot sauce, cream and beer. Stir well.
3. Add chopped ingredients and simmer soup for 1 hour.
4. To thicken soup so consistency is more like a stew, stir in a little flour.
5. Serve in bowls topped with crumbled blue cheese.
6. Pair with a beer and enjoy.
Find more grilling recipes online at Rickards.ca