Candles have forever been a great gift idea and why not—they seem to be the ideal choice for any occasion. If you’re looking for something a little different in the way of candles though, you may want to consider the latest in candle innovation: soy candles.
Soy candles are becoming increasingly popular for several reasons with the biggest one being thanks to all the attention to ‘going green’ and being more conscious of the environment. By opting to burn soybean candles as opposed to those made of paraffin; you are doing your part for not only the environment but also for the health and well being of yourself and those around you—the best reason to choose soy candles. What makes them so great you ask; other than the fact that they are good for the environment and just downright decadent as far as candles go? Several things:
- They are all natural which means that when you burn them, you avoid filling the air with unnecessary and potentially harmful toxins like petroleum which is found in paraffin and also C02 which is something that our atmosphere can do without more of!
- They produce a lot less soot than other candles—a whole 90 percent less to be exact! When you burn any other type of candle, over time you end up with a layer of soot on walls, fabrics and furniture that you may not even see. Breathing this in is unhealthy and can further aggravate conditions like allergies and asthma.
- They burn longer which saves you money. It has actually been found that a soy candle burns 50 percent longer than any other kind, so you get way more bang for your buck! This is another plus should you be giving soy candles as gifts because your gift will last longer; lighting up the life of the person lucky enough to receive it.
- They distribute scent better because the naturally present soybean oil has a lower melting point. This causes the pool of wax that builds around the wick to be larger than it would in a regular candle and it is in these pools that the essential oils or fragrance evaporate and distribute the scent, therefore creating a stronger aroma for you to enjoy.
- Since we are on the topic of scent; scented soy candles come in a variety of aromatherapy essences which have multiple health benefits. Aromatherapy has been used for centuries to treat all types of ailments, from stress to respiratory problems to headaches. Finding out what each essential oil is good for is easily achieved with an online search of ‘aromatherapy’ or ‘essential oils’ or even a trip to your local health store.
There is no doubt that soy candles are a great choice for yourself or your loved ones thanks to the endless list of benefits that they offer in comparison to the other types available. On a slightly more superficial note; soy candles come in the same array of pretty colors and styles that other candles do!
I know what you were probably thinking after reading words like ‘soybean’ and ‘natural’; you envisioned basic, colorless wax with zero personality. Am I right? Well, the truth is that you can find them in rich colors, bright colors—all colors for that matter so you can match any taste and compliment any décor. You can also get them in varying sizes, shapes and styles, such as soy pillar candles, soy jar candles, soy tapered candles, soy tea lights, soy votives and more.
There isn’t a healthier, prettier or ‘greener’ choice when it comes to candles than those made from soy. With all of those amazing benefits, how could you go back to paraffin or any other kind for that matter?!